Why GM’s Recalls Are Worse Than You Think

I can still remember driving around as a kid in my dad’s Chevrolet sedan, one with tail fins. Later, we had a Pontiac Ventura, and my mom drove a Chevrolet Malibu.

My first car in high school was a 1966 Pontiac Le Mans that I rebuilt myself. And my brother drove a Pontiac Firebird – all General Motors Co. (NYSE: GM) cars.

Besides the cars in my family’s driveway, I broke into the financial industry as a young analyst in Detroit covering GM. As such, I talked frequently with the CEO, the heads of all the major divisions, and top auto dealers and union reps.

I visited auto plants around the country and saw how GM was leading the robotics revolution that greatly improved the quality of American-made cars. I also traveled to Germany to drive the GM’s European models and talk with top execs there.

In other words, I cannot overstate what a big role General Motors has played in my life.

So, it saddens me when I see the headlines about recalls over the past few years – this year alone, about 29 million worldwide.

Last year, GM sold 2.8 million cars and truck. So, these recalls are the equivalent of a decade’s worth of production.

Many on Wall Street and in the mainstream financial media are saying this is a “buy” opportunity.

For instance, Daniel Howes, a business columnist at The Detroit News, says the recalls are giving GM millions of opportunities lure customers back into showrooms and show off shiny new vehicles. “You can’t buy that kind of traffic,” Howes writes.

And The New York Times recently spun slightly increased sales as a huge victory for the company.

Now you know that I’m a GM guy. So you know that I’m not making this next statement lightly.

I just can’t join along with Wall Street’s talk of a turnaround.

You should not look on GM’s recall problems as a new buying opportunity. In fact, you should avoid this stock.

And today, I’m going to tell you exactly why adding GM to your portfolio right now would be a bad decision.

It hurts to do so, but I feel I owe it to you…

Bumpy Ride

Most recently, on June 30, GM said it would recall some 8.45 million cars and trucks and that it would take a total of $1.2 billion in charges this quarter. I was already writing this column when this latest announcement popped up in my in box… sigh.

As bad as all these recalls are for the company’s bottom line, GM’s corporate culture is what’s really harmful.

The company’s own internal investigations didn’t blame manufacturing or engineering problems for the faulty ignition switches that led to recalls of decade-plus-old Chevrolet Cobalts. Instead, the report focused on “cultural failings” – namely, a massive bureaucracy that led to slack safety standards.

True, GM is coming clean on a number of safety issues, ones that have left at least 13 dead around the United States. New CEO Mary Barra, who took the job in January, recently fired 15 employees and disciplined five others involved in the faulty switches.

But GM as a whole seems to be in a state of denial about how extensive its problems really are – and I just don’t think Barra has a firm grasp on quality control at her company yet.

She’s talking tough and making quick moves, but Barra is facing, as she put it herself just last month, “a history of failures” for which “nobody took responsibility.”

Some GM officials knew of these problems and covered them up for years.

And this cuts right to the heart of my five-part system for creating wealth.

Rule No. 1 states that “Great Companies Have Great Operations.”

Just on that alone, you have to exclude GM as a possible stock.

There’s an element of irony in all this. Back when I was analyzing GM, I met with the father of modern quality control.

The late W. Edwards Deming helped revolutionize the Japanese auto industry with statistical analysis and made it a global leader. He also helped out Ford Motor Co. (NYSE: F) – but not GM.

Deming thought that car companies had to perfect the manufacturing process to make their products consistently great. Customers wouldn’t have to keep taking their cars back to the dealership or shop for repairs.

Headed Past the Repair Shop

For GM, the pileup of recalls demands much more than a trip to the auto repair shop. The company faces possibly hundreds of lawsuits that will keep its poor record in front of the public for months and years to come.

Against this backdrop, some analysts are starting to suggest that GM’s stock may be a great turnaround play. As I said before, I disagree.

See, much of the media attention about GM’s safety issues stem from Cobalts and other cars that are a decade old and had defective ignition switches. The faulty switches can cause engines to shut off while driving, leading to a sudden loss of power steering and brakes, as well as faulty air bags.

What no one is taking about right now is that a vast majority of the recalls are for newer models. For instance, all of the 1.54 million recalls GM announced in March were for 2008 or newer model years.

Most of these are cars GM manufactured after the U.S. government’s $50 billion bailout of the company in 2009 – on which the government lost $11.2 billion. That’s relevant because the “New GM” wasn’t just about saving union jobs. It was supposed to help create a better company.

One look at the long list of recalls beyond the defective ignition switches shows that quality problems are pervasive throughout GM’s manufacturing culture: problems with oil cooler fittings, fuel gauges, brake and daytime running lamps, brake rotors, driver seat belts and much more.

Long Road to Success

If you can’t buy a GM car with confidence that it’s a quality product, then you shouldn’t buy the stock either.

Now then, I’ve seen some analysts say GM will turn around like Toyota Motor Corp. (NYSE: TM) has. The world’s reigning automaker suffered a public humiliation a few years ago with its own recalls.

In 2009 and 2010, Toyota recalled more than 10 million vehicles from 12 models worldwide following complaints of sudden, unintended acceleration covering.

Toyota modified gas pedals and floor mats that were prone to moving around and jamming the accelerator. The company also installed brake override software.

In February 2011, the U.S. government ruled that Toyota’s problems were not electrical but mechanical in nature. It was a finding that rattled investors.

By the end of that year, TM had fallen from $93 to about $62, giving up one-third of its value.

But since then, Toyota has not only broke even but also hit new highs. It’s currently trading around $120.

Earlier this year, Toyota agreed to pay the U.S. government a settlement of $1.2 billion. But this occurred as Toyota once again became the world’s largest automaker by sales. And its quality ratings are excellent once again.

In March, Consumer Reports recommended 11 of Toyota’s cars in its picks for the best used vehicles for the last 10 model years. That was almost double the number for Honda Motor Co. Ltd. (NYSE: HMC) the second-best performer.

Toyota has clearly regained the confidence of its customers at this point.

I don’t see that happening for GM.

While GM’s stock has held up well over the last few weeks – rising 6% over the past three months – it remains down 10% so far this year. It rose just 8% in 2013, when the Standard & Poor’s 500 had 21.4% gains.

Based on my decades of experience in the field, I think GM still has a long road ahead. To thrive once again, it has to win back customers like my dad.

Until recently, he remained a loyal GM buyer. He drives a Buick LeSabre Custom that he says is “the best car I’ve owned in my life.”

He’s now shopping a car for my stepmom. But he’s clear on one thing.

“I would never buy a new GM car,” he tells me. “They’ve got so many problems, you just don’t know what you’re really getting.”

You all know that I’m always on the lookout for a great turnaround story. So rest assured I’ll be keeping an eye on this stock.

When General Motors gets its act together and it makes financial sense as an investment, I’ll be sure to let you know. Until then, stay away.

Related Reports:

Strategic Tech Investor: “The First Rule for Spotting a High-Tech Winner”

52 Responses to Why GM’s Recalls Are Worse Than You Think

1. Ted Chura says:

I am 76 years old. My dissatisfaction with GM began when Roger Smith was Chairman of the Board. GM has had a long history of bad culture and performance. Too many fat cats in the office and the union sucking off their mass and momentum. After 1985 I swore I would never buy another GM product but I did buy a 2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular Class B Motorhome which was only built on the Chevrolet 3500 Express Van chassis and took my chances. I had to replace the dash lights and my wheel bearings in 80,000 miles. I also own two great Nissan products, both 2001 LE Pathfinders, one built at the beginning of the model year and the other at the end of the model year. The oldest has 155,000 miles, original plugs, original muffler, and consistently gets just over 21 mpg on a full tank of gas with mostly freeway driving. They were rated 15 city and 19 highway. Would you believe they each have 4 (FOUR) catalytic converters? Both have had very few issues; only regular maintenance. The other only has over 60,000 miles. My understanding from talk on the internet is that this model year produced exceptionally reliable vehicles as many others have my same experience. They should both do 250,000 miles, I am guessing. They both run like new. Oh, I have used Mobil1 synthetic oil since day one.

• Marc Schoen says:

I also have a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder with the 3.5L engine. I have 117,000 miles on it. I get never better than 20mpg. I have not had the same same experience as you. I have had to replace one of the catalytic converters, which would have been $1000 at the dealer. I have had to replace all 6 of the spark plug coils, because 1 was bad and Nissan claimed they could not test them to find the bad one. That cost me over $900. I have had oxygen sensors go bad, And several other engine management electronic devices go bad.

Bottom line- not a reliable vehicle.

2. Hugh Stewart says:

Let’s not overlook SUBARU. This very focused “little company” outperforms the rest with stunning sales growth by delivering safety, versatility, performance durability as well as low depreciation.

• Dale left coast says:

Subaru . . . the company that got it FIRST Five Star Safety Award in 2007?

GM should study Toyota methods . . . they have recalled about 40 million cars since 2006 and gotten very little exposure in the media . . . as the bodies pile up . . .

3. BERNARD HALL says:

I BOUGHT A 2008 IMPALLA CHEV IT HAS A TRUNK BUTTON ON THE DASH TO OPEN THE TRUNK YESTERDAY 2014 THE TRUNK WILL NOT OPEN IT HAS NO KEY SLOT CHANG A FLAT IS NOW OUT WHAT A GOOF UP BY GM,

• axel says:

I had a 2001 chevy monte carlo feel very good on the road but I had the engine swith problem the needle gas didn’t work the traction control didn’t work and on the panel have a traction control light the problem start at 66,000 miles the dealer said they don’t have a fix for the traction control some people put 1500 to fix it and in 2 weeks the traction light show on the panel i keep running the with all those problem after 10 year I took it to the junk yard the same problem with my wife 2001 impala the buick 1999 have the same problem I’m done with chevy i got Volkswagen jetta i haved for 4 years now 64,000 miles no problem no light on the panel love it ,I’m thinking to trade my jetta for the Volkswagen Passat 2015. ford escape start in fire another garbage I’m done with ford dodge and chevy . my wife got a rav4 no problem

4. Mary Jordan Smith says:

Please advise me when you feel it is save to buy GM vehicles again. I have my eye on three — business and personal.

Kind regards,

5. Peter N. says:

There are many oither cars not recalled. I purchased a brand new 2006 Cadillac XLR ($75,000..00) plus with 81 miles on ot. I sold it with 182 miles on it. It was a death trap. Nattery required coonstant recharging. Replaced it twice, at my expense, It could die when you just got into the car, and could not get out. Door locks would not work. On 3rd trip for repairs, etc., I asked the dealer tech to get into the car and then come out. He got it, but the battery was dead and he could not get out. Tey had a man extricated from his Cadillac XLR in the head at the Kenosha County, Wisc Fair. They put out a service bulletin whch I was able to get a copy, but they never admitted it existed, to this date. The service bulletin recommended owners put a battery charger on the vehicle every night. After the 3rd failure AT THE DEALERSHIP, I SOLD THE DEATH TRAP and traded in for a Pontiac G-6. I took a loss of some $45,000.00 plus or minus. As to the G-6?

I purchase the G-6 as a trade in with my Cadillac XLR at the same dealership. This car accellarates even when I am braking. It has happened hundreds of time.; The dealer said they found nothng at fault or that it existed, and I did not have a mat or anything to show that I accidentally pushed the accellator when I braked. My fshoe does not go that far.They tested car on several occasion. I have had several minor mishaps.

The same year I also purchased a Buick Lucerne. Same problem of accelleration but not as bad. One day while I was braking as I entered a parking space, the Buick jolted forward into a rock enbankment landscaped area.

You are correct. I will never but GM again.

I wrote Mary Barra. You guessed it. No reply. I also wrote the Dealer on the Cadillac and Pontiac many times. Denials or no comments. I understand there was a law suit as Corvettes for 1965 to 1967 had the same battery problem, for which GM DID ISSUE A SECRET SERVICE BULLETIN.

6. John B says:

I worked at GM from 2001-2010, staying just long enough after the bailout to see if a “New GM” would actually emerge from the ashes of bankruptcy. When it didn’t appear that much of anything was changing, I voted with my feet.

That said, there is a core of “true believers” at GM who continuously battle the massive bureaucracy in pursuit of excellence. If a few more of them end up in senior leadership roles with reins in hand, you might actually see a turnaround play emerge. Until that day, I plan stay far away from their vehicles and the stock.

7. Jesse says:

I have bought and owned many GM cars (Nova, Lumina, Lumina Mini Van, Cutlass Cierra, Pontiac Grand Am, Pontiac Fiero) before they got in bed with the Obama Regime. That old GM (Government Motors) sour joke is still stuck in my mind and I just can’t convince myself to EVER buy another GM. And I really hate how they treated conservative dealerships, stock owners and how they gave the union everything on a silver platter. I’m sorry, but I’m done with them. I don’t reward theivery, cronyism or bad management behavior with my money. So, with me it’s a huge “Branding Issue” that has been damaged in my mind. They can fix all of their cars down to the last bolt, but they’ve lost me AND my family forever.

8. JAN says:

When, as you say, GM should no longer be bought – then why is there no suggestion to short the co /

• Sailor Jo says:

I feel the same way. Will work on the charts. I missed to short them previously but this time I do not want to miss the chance.

9. Franklin Adams says:

Don’t sell GM short just yet. I recently traveled to mainland china, Malasia and Singapore. While in China I couldn’t help notice the number of Buicks in and about. One chinese national, tour guide in Shanghi indicated this is China’s No 1 car. I believe GM is doing more in Asia due to growth, as there is new construction everywhere you look All the countryside freeways are 4 lane unlike our 2 lane going in each direction. The bicycles and rick-shaws are all but disappearing, replaced by scooters, and autos. I believe GM is putting their resources where commerce and growth is ocurring. This is happening now. as my travel occured in April 2014 Skyscrappers and bullet trains are dotting the countryside, and everything is so cultivated. Everyone is working, no welfare seems to exist. We are being left in the dust!

10. Ron Kare says:

Excellent article. I have never purchased any vehicles except from the Big Three, Chevy, Buick, Cadillac, Firebird, Camaro, Jeep, Dodge, Ford, Mercury, Chevy Explorer Express Hi Top Van, dodge Cargo van, and on. Finally, I have had enough of the Big Three and I am looking at European and Korean cars. Ron Kahrer

11. LEON BRIGGS says:

AMEN! ONCE GENERAL MOTORS STOPPED BEING AMERICAN MADE AND BECAME GOVERNMENT MOTORS, IT MOVED INTO THE SAME MOLD THAT MOST GOVERNMENT ENTITIES ARE A GLARING PART OF WHAT NOT TO BE. THE RUNNING OF THESE VARIOUS DEPARTMENTS ARE TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF HOW OUR NATION IS BEING (RUINED) RUN.
    IF THE AMERICAN PEOPLE EVER AWAKEN TO THE STUPIDITY WE HAVE ALLOWED TO DATE, I PRAY THE TATTERS AND SHREDS OF WHATS LEFT TO REPAIR, OF OUR ONCE WONDERFUL NATION, ARE SALVAGEABLE. WE DO HAVE THE TALENTS AND BRAINS TO ONCE AGAIN RECAST THE TRUE EXAMPLE OF FREEDOM AND OPPORTUNITY.

12. Charles K Hof says:

Years ago Toyota and GM went to gather to develop and produce a car in Fremont, CA. It took some work but the plant became the most efficient and highest quality vehicles produced by GM. There was an effort to take their lessons learned from that experiment and extend it to other plants. They found it impossible due to the work culture. And what has happened with the Saturn?
    The resistance to change is ingrained and very hard to change. GM will need to change that culture to be able to succeed. Or possibly to survive.

• Janie Perry says:

Actually Saturn wasn’t ran by Detroit. Detroit sent 6 people over to Japan to see what they were doing since almost everyone over here were buying Toyotas. When they came back they told the big shots what they were doing and those big shots said it won’t work here. So guess what those 6 people said I bet it will, they were given a start up and told go try it and we’ll let you crawl back when it doesn’t work. Guess what those people went to Spring Hill Tennessee and built a plant and called it Saturn. This new plant had a President, Vice Presidents, Secretary/Treasurer plus Directors. They weren’t union, but they catered to the employees. Guess what, every year the workers at the plant and the dealers staff received large bonuses, in fact if you would put their pay and their bonuses together, they got paid more than the union workers at GM. The Saturn was a great car and one that all it needed was the normal run of the mill service. (i.e. oil change and such) They sold more cars/suvs than GM did. Then guess what happened, GM got in the hole, did the Indian Giver mold and took back Saturn. Then they said the way this is made costs too much so we will do it different. They took the money Saturn had and blew it up with the rest of the money they made in Detroit. The 6 people proved if you have a company and run it like they did in Japan you could make a bundle of money. Which as I can tell GM didn’t learn from those 6 people. Penske wanted to buy Saturn but GM screwed them over because they didn’t want the Saturn Corporation to out do them. Sad isn’t it. I know some one said the reason BM owners were having trouble is because they didn’t read their manual that came with the car. Doesn’t matter if you read it or not, if the part is bad and has been for years, no amount of reading is going to fix the bad part. My dad owned GM products and so did I, but I won’t own another GM vehicle in my life time as I think it will take around 20 years for them to come out with good vehicles if they get their ducks in a row. I’m betting on Subaru, I’ve researched and so far I believe they could be the best. Sorry you all who like Fords (Found on Road Dead) I also had Ford products and I couldn’t keep up with the repairs. Had to ditch it. Well I traded it in and they auctioned it off. lol

13. Doris says:

I quit at the Janesville GM plant in 1976. Everyone was asking, why? My answer: “This company won’t be around when I want to retire. They don’t care about their employees, or their customers. All they care about is their investors.” If the government hadn’t bailed them out they would now be out-of-existence. Now the rats (investors) are jumping ship. Does not surprise me. The really good mechanics were working on the line beside me. They pointed out the stupid engineering decisions to me. The only way GM will survive is if they become employee owned. As I see it, most US companies are in the same sinking ship. The crews need to take over from the ‘captains of industry’ to survive disaster.

14. Michael says:

I read an article recently that suggested GM will have problems from easier credit standards for its customers, leading to more bad loans!

15. Harrold Waggoner says:

I’m an electrical engineer (MSEE). In 35+ years in engineering, i’ve learned that you have to go after problems right away. Trying to B.S. your way through, and pretend that there ARE no problems is a sure recipe for disaster. The problems NEVER get better on their own. The longer you stall them off, the bigger the crash at the end. This is sort of like our financial problems (that the EU and the Usa persist in trying to “kick the can down the road”. GM has NEVER been willing to admit that they’ve made a mistake, and correct it. From the Kentucky school bus accident – that resulted in a $50m settlement (as i recall), they have persisted in “we didn’t do that” approach to life. I’m sorry – it won’t wash! FIX the problem – don’t try to BS your way out of it!! Catch it early on, and FIX it!! Cheers.

16. William Price says:

GM has not made a REALLY high-quality automobile since the end of WWII, and I speak from bitter experience. The company will not become truly competitive UNTIL they get out from under union domination. The high cost of meeting unreasonable union demands is largely responsible for the poor quality at exorbitant prices.

17. james says:

I recently purchased a used 2011 Malibu ltz
    hope that was not a wrongful decision
    please let me know of any new occurrences

18. Stan says:

I agree with your dad. The LeSabre was one of the best cars GM ever built. Too bad they don’t still build one.

• Karl says:

You are lucky you got a good one. My dad bought a 2004 LeSabre, which was passed to me when he could no longer drive. He leaned on the console arm rest to get out of the car and the hinge broke. Then the driver’s window went down and wouldn’t go up in the dead of winter. Then the Shot gun window failed the same way. Summer heat in the South caused the dash board vinyl covering to shrink and pull out of the dash. Looks great! Then the speedometer failed. Temperature gauge in the radiator had to be replaced, along with all the coolant. The computer keeps telling me to check the tires, but they are fine. Light bulbs are a pain in the neck to replace, because you have to disassemble the fixtures to get at them. Oil hole is too low, so oil can’t be easily poured into the hole without dripping in on the exhaust manifold. Cloth on the ceiling in the back decided to droop when the glue gave up. Trunk release button on key fob is vulnerable to an accidental bump, opening the trunk while you may be in a restaurant and making it’s contents available to any passerby. The Regal is not much better, as it came with a faulty power steering reservoir, which is almost impossible to reach, let alone fill. Mechanical failures of the transmission boot and plumbing, and steering mechanism. GM service did the brakes, but failed to replace the springs, which led to another brake job at a more reliable place — not only that, but the rebate promised on the brake shoes was denied because they put the wrong part numbers on the rebate form. GM service costs 50% more than most other car service facilities. To align the wheels, Sears had to add eccentrics to the rear wheels to bring them into alignment. No, I don’t think I’ll be buying a GM car for a while.

19. 48ozhalfgallons says:

I owned two GM products. One in the ’60s and one in the ’70s. Both were horrible. Nothing has changed.

20. don says:

Could this fiasco eventually drive GM into bankruptcy? Then what would happen to all the people who own GM cars who need repairs?

21. Tom Henderson says:

Hi. I’m Tom Henderson, a spokesman for General Motors. While we can debate the merits of investing in our company – and we think there are many – I’ll leave that for the markets to determine.

More importantly and at the heart of Mr. Robinson’s blog is the question of whether GM is operating differently today. Our short answer is “yes” – we are putting the customer at the center of all we do.

For example, our approach to safety today can be seen by the aggressive actions we’ve taken to recall vehicles this year as a result of an exhaustive review coming out of the ignition switch recall. If we see an issue that could compromise the safety of our customers we will act swiftly.

And, we’ll do this while also building some of the highest quality vehicles in the market. In fact, GM had the most segment winners for the second year in a row in the 2014 J.D. Power Initial Quality Study. We also had the most segment winners in the 2014 J.D. Power Vehicle Dependability Study.

While we’re proud of these vehicles, we know we can continue improving and we will. Whether its safety, quality, design or value, we’re working every day to put our customers first.

• G13man says:

GM motto

THE CUSTOMER IS # 1
      1 THEY have the money – GET that money
      2 The customer is always right – except for our profit – Get that money
      3 GM will continue to give u the best car – As soon as we decide which division can build what – but we will continue to Get that money
      4 We have warranties – but it does not cover that yet or till it is expired or gov mandated- save that money 4 r selves
      5 We do not have warranties to cover our shoddy repairs- save that money 4 r selves
      6 We saved money by having split the union into 2 parts , the new employees save us money because we pay them less – do not worry execs , we do not pay u less then previous execs – customers first [after us]
      7 Whether its safety, quality, design or value, we’re working every day to put more money in GM pocket for our customers first policy.
      8 we will continue to blame our unions for all problems so u can blame somebody – we need our customers money for exec benies
      9 Our lobbyist will continue to support u by keeping us alive
      10 rinse and repeat – get that money

22. Karl says:

The way I see it is GM should have been allowed to fail, then out of those ashes a new and improved auto could have arisen.

• Jeff Campbell says:

I agree totally, the motto should be salaries too big, therefore they will fail. BTW anyone see reimbursements from GM? No company, bank or business is too big too fail. Without failure nothing is learned, no responsibility and no one at fault = no integrity in business or politics.

23. David James Payne says:

I think that when GM asked for the bail out from the gov. they should have been told the same thing that Studebaker was told, you made your mess you get yourself out of it yourself,they closed. AMC got told the samething,they closed. But oh no we can’t let GM fail they have many outragousily high paid top ranking people to pay billion dollar wages to to do nothing for GM but run into ground.
    I know that in the early 70s GM started sticking the small block chevy into the Oldsmobile and the people comjplained about it and GM said we don’t care if you like it or not this what we’r doing Then they started sticking the small block chevy into the Pontiac and the people complained and GM said we don’t care this is what we’r doing. Now the only thing that they might as well be called what they really are,Chevy’s, becuase the Buick and Cadilac are just names now becuase under the hood is a Chevy LS motor.
    So I think that GM should of had to write to every eligable taxpayer to see if it was okay for them to use OUR MONEY to bail their asses out,I wonder how many Olds.,Pont.,Bu., and Cad. people would have said hey GM we don’t F~~~ing care if go out of buisines,you can’t use our money.

24. Bryan says:

I’ve owned many cars in my life; Chevys, Cadillac, GMC, Ford, Honda, Acura and Nissan VW and Dodge. I have had good luck with all brands with the exception of the Dodge it was a leaker and not all that reliable. I had recalls on the Honda and Acura which were minor and preventative in nature. Overall I believe GM has been the best. I’m a firm believer that if you maintain and operate your vehicle with in the guidelines of the manufacturer you won’t have any issues. Most of the problems people have are caused by their owners and their lack of reading and complying with the owners manual.
    I’ve taken several GM vehicles of several decades over 100k with no problems at all. Go GM their quality is good.

• Vic Bailey says:

They forget how many people Ford has killed not only with cars but dumping toxic waste from their plants, it’s not short memory but politics, Ford is a Socialist Liberal Democrat company, and what ever they do is not given to the media, which is owned by the Socialist Liberals! Just check all the underhanded crap that Ford has been given a PASS card, you will be surprised. Remember when NBC rigged a Chevrolet Pickup to explode from a side hit, but the film showed it exploded before it was even hit! The whole auto industry has been rigged, those that give to the democratic party gets passes and those that don’t gets reamed! Sad State of Affairs if you ask me! Semper Fi.

• JC says:

Thats amazing you got 100k from a GM. Jump high, celibrate!!
      A woman in Jasper Indiana got 1 million out of her Toyota T-100 without any engine problems. All miles are documunted by dearship & Carfax. Google “Clyde glides to a million” to read.

The last GM we had took a crap at 106k and was hualed out of our yard. It was GM’s best of the best…A Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham. All service was done on time at the dealer and it still absolutely just fell apart.
      Had 3 gas guages/computer monitors that failed at 70k and we had to use trip meter for a gas guage or pay 5k repair…Intake/head gaskets blew, headliner fell, water pump went (8hr job to replace), power seats,trunk,wipers,locks,air cond all failed. . Total P.O.S……..
      Had Toyota / Infiniti since and never any problems. My Tacoma has 180k with only a fan belt & starter replaced. Regular maintanence is all thats required for them. Average 300k easy….Have seen alot of Tundra’s with 700k for sale in adds…Its really good to hear a GM reached 100k though….wow!

25. Kevin says:

The intion swich was a killer to my gran am i brought many batterys.iver the yrs.dealship said bad wiring all lies.

26. RAVI says:

AHA! So that’s where the ONE good car that GM ever made went – Bryan got it!!

Lucky you!!

haha

No way will I buy a GM car – piece of …..And this from a guy who worked at GM!

27. Jeff Campbell says:

My Mitsubishi still going strong after 500,000km = 300,000 miles. No pot smokers made this car, imported from Japan.

28. wayne barker says:

i bought a 2008 cheverolet hhr 4 door lt and after 8,000 miles ,i have power seats,i push power button and moved driver seat all the way forward and it locked in that posotion and would not go back,i took it to a local dealer and they set it was a faulty switch and ever since then my car has had a short in it,it will shock you when you get out of the car,after i got about 18,000 miles on it,i went to start it and put my keys in the ignition and it would not turn,i tried everything to get it to turn,i called a dealership about 35 miles away and he said i will come over and i will get it to turn,he brought a flat bed truck with him,he could not get it to turn,he said i will have to take it back to dealership,i said what about a loaner vehicle until you get it fixed and he said i will have it fixed tommorrow and that didnot happen they had it for over a week ,i called them they said if i wanted a loaner vehicle , i would have to come and get it,yell like i am going to walk 35 miles over a mountain,well about 2 years later the ignition started acting up again,had to have another one put in,and then headlights shorted out,had to replace them,still have a short were the dealership had not fixed it before,i always like cheverolet,but i am not satisfied with car at all nothing but problems.

29. Ian S says:

The rap sheet of American models is a seriously long indictment. I can tell you that any similar fatal incidents happening in the UK would kill sales of that company until the engineering behind the rectification had been seen on TV – the fault, the cure and the proof.

GM’s wholly owned subsidiary in UK is called Vauxhall, which is similar but not identical to Opel in Germany. Vauxhall enjoys a good replutation for quality and reliability, and now outsells Ford in many sizes. As far as I know GM in USA oversees the designs of Vauxhalls -so it is not a company- wide culture to put up with poor cars and a poor reputation. The explanation must be in the build quality, and I suspect the bought-in components are to blame. Here there is a difference, I am sure the US models have components bought in from US factories, whereas Vauxhall’s components are made in UK or Germany. Both will be subject to QC inspection by the carmaker. The record of component failure shows which is more effective.

30. tim crary says:

I worked as automotive master tech for GM for about 16 yrs. I retired when they went bell up. They took away all are benefits even after the bail out. I retired shortly after that. WE were dealing with ignition switch, air bag, shifter , steering bearings in the rack and pion, fuse box, cooler line fittings duramax fuel injectors, fuel leaks into electrical harness on s 10 pickups just tons of recalls on all their models and its just got worse . There’s one company that’s pretty much all American out there that started a car company from scratch ,who did not buy all other car companies and did not take the bail out , Wake up America it’s FORD!!!!!

31. Thomas Woods says:

I currently own a 2004 Chevy Duramax Silverado with 175,000 Miles. I am completely satisfied with the quality. It looks like it just came off the show room floor. I have had to replace injectors, upper and lower ball joints. It rides and drives and pulls like a new truck. I drive pulling 4500 lbs across the country at 80 MPH all day long with no problems. I am very disappointed with the Government involvement in the company. I am sure it would be a much bettercompany without the involvement of our government. I hope I don’t have to make a decision what to buy ever again. I also have a 2011 Malibu. After putting a set of Michelin tires on the car I have been very happy with this car. I do it’s maintenance at the local dealer and think they can keep up with all the current problems with this car.

32. Bob says:

Very sad about GM. New CEO Mary Barra has been dropped into a hornet’s nest. I learned to drive in a 1966 Olds and my best car was a 1980 Olds (both GMs). One of the problems is that GM has a whole history of building bad small cars, Vega, Cavalier, Cobalt. Maybe Chev Cruz is better. There is the old expression, “as GM goes, so goes America” and its proud history as America’s muscle in WWII. Also ominous is GM’s loss of market share. From 60% of market in the 1960’s to maybe 15% now. And there was the disastrous tenure of past CEOs, Roger Smith, etc. Mary Barra sure has her work cut out for her to turn it around. A gargantuan task indeed!

33. Ed says:

My local dealer handles Toyota and Chevy. While getting the oil changed on my Tundra, I looked at the new Toyota Tundra—Assembled in Texas, with 70% U.S. made parts. Then I looked at a new Chevy pickup—assembled in Mexico, with greater than 51% foreign made parts.
    Which one is the American vehicle?

34. Ken Kucera says:

I was always a Ford man all my life. till I purchased a used 99 Buick Lesabre Limited. Like previous commentators it was one of the best cars I ever owned. Reliability & mpg. However I will never own another GM product again. I was heavily invested in GM common & their bonds. Lost 99% of everything on account of Obama giving it to the unions. For the rest of my life it is back to Ford and nothing else. GM should have been condemmeed to the fires of Hell.

35. JC says:

Google : “Clyde glydes to a million”

Million mile Toyota with all original engine internals…Never tore down once!

36. JC says:

Thats amazing you got 100k from a GM. Jump high, celibrate!!

37. JC says:

The plant in Freemont Cal was called NUMMI and was one of the best in the nation. Shame GM plants around the globe would’nt adopt the “Toyota Way” and use it in other plants. Only Saturn used their methods. Had they all listened to Toy this mess would never have happened.
    GM CEO’s snubbed Toyotas teachings and feel they are above them.
    Well’ we see who is above who now….GMs full of idiots!