This Biotech Startup Just Scored a Key Cancer Breakthrough

Don’t worry if you’ve never heard of Robert Langer. Few investors have.

But 20 years from now, when some enterprising author writes the book about how the United States finally found a cure for cancer, you can bet that Langer will be there, front and center, in the table of contents, or maybe even on the cover.

Today Langer is a distinguished professor at MIT, in chemical and biomedical engineering. More importantly for investors like us, he is the co-founder of a hot biotech startup that just reported a key cancer breakthrough.

It’s called BIND Biosciences. And it isn’t just on an IPO track.

It’s one of the companies I refer to when I say technology can save America. Thanks to this nation’s innovative thinkers and savvy entrepreneurs, just like Langer, this country leads the world in high-tech breakthroughs – the kind that reshape lives and histories. And that’s what makes me truly believe that The Land of Opportunity is bound to come out ahead in the long run.

So if you want to make big money in the Era of Radical Change, you can forget about the global debt crisis. Ditto Washington’s antics. Same goes for monthly jobs reports and even the market’s ups and downs.

You need to keep an eye on guys like Bob Langer.

Here’s why…

His Team Has Given Millions New Reason for Hope

Right now 12 million Americans are suffering from some form of cancer; the disease will kill one-third of them outright. In the next 24 hours, nearly 1,500 cancer patients will die. Odds are, several people will have passed away by the time you read this report.

Many of you will relate to this on a personal level. I know I do. Cancer killed my maternal grandmother and two of my friends.

Yet today, finally, after many billions of dollars funneled into cancer research over the decades, I believe we have passed the “tipping point” in our long battle against this deadly disease. I predict that within a decade we will cut the number of cancer deaths in half.

Not only will sharp biotech investors (like us) profit along the way, the nation as a whole will get a tremendous payoff when that happens. After all, cancer costs the U.S. roughly $225 billion a year in health-care bills and lost wages.

So, the Langer team’s breakthrough has much to offer America, at a time when many people fear that China is getting ready to have us for lunch. Well, let me tell you this. You won’t see this kind of innovation coming out of China any time soon.

Here’s How They Did It

As it turns out, Langer’s team used very small – but very mighty – weapons to fight the cancer war.

Called BIND-014, these are agents so tiny, you can’t see them without a powerful microscope. But they make for lethal little bombs. These particular nanoparticles feature a “homing” molecule that targets cancerous cells, while leaving healthy ones alone.

Think of all those patients who could benefit from this – and, at the same time, avoid the horrific side effects from radiation, chemotherapy, and other anti-cancer drugs.

You may have heard of these kinds of “targeted particle” before. But here’s the thing. BIND-014 was the first to enter human trials.

In a recent Phase 1 human clinical trial, the nanoparticles were found to be both safe and effective. That’s key to getting the FDA’s approval to sell new drugs or use new treatments in the U.S. Clearly, more tests are in order. But so far, the researchers found these agents can greatly shrink tumors.

For the Phase 1 trial, they tested the effects of BIND-014 on 17 patients. Each one had already received standard chemotherapy that had not killed their tumors. The BIND-014 results proved dramatic. Researchers found that patients who got the nano treatment had 100 times more of an anti-cancer drug in their blood streams compared with using standard shots or pills.

Needless to say, the good folks at BIND Biosciences are gearing up for Phase II clinical trials. These tests will test the treatment on a larger number of patients.

For BIND, the recent good results are a big payoff after many years of toiling in the lab. Langer and co-founder Omid Farokhzad began working with nanoparticles back in the 1990s.

By 2006, they had shown the process worked on mice. They launched their company the next year in Cambridge, Mass. They now call their unique brand of particles Accurins™.

Their recent good Phase 1 results have grabbed headlines. The company was featured in three stories in the Boston Herald and one in Scientific American.

Investors are lining up, as well. In just the last two years, BIND has raised more than $70 million in venture funding.

The investors have backed such firms as Akamai Technologies Inc. (NASDAQ:AKAM), an early cloud infrastructure and services company that now has a $6 billion market cap, and Illumina Inc. (NASDAQ:ILMN), a genetic analysis firm currently embroiled in a $7 billion hostile takeover.

Now, let me be clear about one thing. Despite the recent good news from Phase I testing, it’s too soon to be certain BIND will get to market with its treatment and have a great IPO.

That’s the risk with any of these biotech plays. The FDA just takes a very long time to approve drugs – years or even decades.

But at this point, BIND absolutely should be on your radar screen…

It has so much going for it – positive clinical trials, solid science, venture backing, and good management.

So, the next time you hear someone on the radio predicting “The End of America,” remember you have an ace up your sleeve.

Its name is BIND Biosciences. And I hope you get to play this card in the very near future.

18 Responses to This Biotech Startup Just Scored a Key Cancer Breakthrough

1. eric swanson says:

I have a close friend that has been given 4 months to live -cancer has returned. Hope their is a cure from alternatives out there.

• Robert Brink says:

In the last few days, I’ve received e-mails from Cancer Defeated. The website is On it you will find the books “Outsmart Your Cancer” and “Cancer Step Outside the Box.” I think the book
      “Rethinking Cancer” by Ruth Sackman, which sounds very good, is available there, too, but if it isn’t, I’m sure you could find it by Googling. I’ve read the summations of these, and it seems as though they could be very helpful.

• Marvin Furman says:

The idea that only drugs can cause Cancer is asinine. The FDA not only procrastinates on drug approval and will not approve any alternative treatments. A previous FDA commissioner stated this unequivocally.
      The reply from Mr. Brinker about “Cancer Defeated” should be reviewed by all Cancer patients. There is so much info out there about curing cancer naturally. First off, if you or someone you love has cancer, avoid all types of sugar. Cancer cells thrive on sugar.
      There are so many other things cancer patients can do to help themselves, but of course the America public has been brainwashed into thinking only surgery, chemo or radiation is the answer.
      Also, remember that one drug can’t cure the hundreds of different varieties of cancer.

2. Clive Lindley says:

Very Interesting, and since I have had renal cancer for three years -hopeful.
    I am on a drug ‘Sutent’ which also uses the molecular approach, which my UK Oncologist says is the best performer in terms of success rate they have yet had in their anti-cancer armoury. I am stable after two years of it.
    But very relevantly,in 2000, I bought into a UK based Start-up: GW Pharmaceuticals.Plc’. It seems to have done everything right.Done big distribution deals with major Pharma distributors, with big stage payments. Developed a drug based on cannabinoids, now with licences for the EU countries and Canada for several MS conditions, and it has been with the FDA for about two years, trialling for an anti-cancer pain adjunct to Opiates. But from an investors point of view it is ,’Oh so slow’. Broker’s reports give it much
    higher value than the share price, but it drags its feet, despite unrelieved good product news.
    This is a big problem for pharma investments. Payday from startup takes a loooong time. Best, Clive (in Paris).

3. calvin mohl says:

We need more people like you on the planet–keep up the incredible research you are doing..–make it happen. My glass is always half full. optimistic

4. Billy J. Wright says:

Isn’t there a way to force the FDA to perform their functions quicker? Also, why not issue patents quicker in the approval process so the company developing the treatment is provided protection while at the same time revealing the treatment to the public?

5. sonia says:

How do I get on a piece of the action!!
    My huband right as we speak is deal with cancer..
    I am doing my on looking for answers America also need to look
    at 4 little herbs that they consider as weeds in 1932 this nurse found acure and they did not want it out because cancer and medicine make money!!!
    Renea died in 1974 she was truely a angel SONIA CALHOUN

6. Andrew Wolfe says:

My wife has lost both her parents to different cancers, and I was recently diagnosed with MS. The newest treatments on a molecular level are not only the future, but it seems the future is now!
    I am truly glad to be a part of this Radical Change!

7. Cristhian Pirazzoli says:

Thank you for this wander full information. I have lost part of my family with cancer and also I have friends with this god deem illness.

• TJ says:

Great idea Anthony, I am sure there are lot of countries that would use this even if it takes longer for the FDA to approve. Maybe they will be pressured by demand if it is running in other countries and success is so good.

8. Brian Riordan says:

I think I can remember that Dr.Frank R, Wallace discovered that cancer could be killed,with tiny nylon pellets that blocked the blood supply to its area.
    It makes sense to me as my wife’s surgeon told me that all the arteries to her cancer were rerouted and very enlarged, and that extra blood is something some Cancers need to do to thrive and survive. So simple and so incredible.
    Sadly, the AMA, or was it the FDA blocked Dr. Wallace’s procedure as it was not a DRUG, but the Nanothch version should have a patent or be registered as a drug for Govt. to control and profit from. This could face severe competition from other drug companies that could have large subsidies.
    This could have saved my wife and my sister from so very much pain and suffering.

9. Walter Mitchell says:

People could, should change their diets. Read the CURE for ALL Diseases by Hulda Clark, Ph.D., N.D.
    Beside that learn to be vegetarian.
    Stay away from doctors and medical professionals.

10. Karl Siebert says:

Unlikely the F.D.A. will ever approve it. The last thing the cancer industry wants is a cure for cancer !

11. Glycemic Index Diet says:

Love it . I have been looking for something like this . Great information I will be back for information about glycemic index diet.